Villanova Preparatory School, a private, co-ed Catholic Augustinian college preparatory school located in beautiful Ojai, California, is seeking an experienced Director of College Counseling starting in August 2023.
Villanova Preparatory School, operated under the ownership of the Augustinian Fathers, is accredited by the Western Catholic Education Association and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The school attracts highly talented and highly-motivated students seeking a quality educational experience rooted in the Catholic Augustinian tradition. The school is a mixed boarding and day school with a significant population of international and out-of-area resident students. Villanova is an IB World school, offering the International Baccalaureate Full Diploma Programme and the option of IB certificate courses.
Villanova Preparatory is seeking a Director of College Counseling for the 2023-2024 school year who brings passion and excitement.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
The Director of College Counseling oversees the process of college admissions and scholarships for the students of Villanova Preparatory School. The Director of College Counseling also provides academic counseling for the juniors and seniors of the school.
The Director of College Counseling:
- Is the principal agent for disseminating college information and coordinates the campus visits of college and university representatives.
- Builds and maintains a relationship with college admissions personnel that fosters a positive reflection on Villanova and its students.
- Informs Villanova parents and students on the processes of applying for college admissions, scholarships, and financial aid.
- Plans junior and senior parent workshops.
- Writes letters of recommendation for seniors applying to colleges and for scholarships.
- Advises faculty and staff on recommendation writing and distributes all documents to colleges on behalf of Villanova Preparatory School.
- Annually revises the School Profile with relevant information for admission readers
- Identifies Questbridge Scholars.
- Works closely with the Assistant Headmaster for Academics to ensure that the curriculum and graduation requirements of Villanova are meeting the requirements for admission to the University of California. Coordinates course approval submission to the UC Office of the President.
- Organizes on-campus SAT School Day during the fall and spring semesters.
- Administers the Advanced Placement exams.
- Is a member of NACAC and attends one of the annual conferences.
- Is the academic counselor for all juniors and seniors, which includes planning academic classes to ensure students meet graduation requirements, which includes checking student grades weekly, creating academic improvement plans,
communicating with parents/guardians, teachers, and the Resident Academic Support Coordinator about progress.
- Schedule meetings with each junior student and his/her parents or guardians prior to completing course enrollment for his/her senior year.
- Coordinates Academic Success Contracts for junior and senior students that are on Academic Probation or in need of academic improvement in one or more classes.
- Meets regularly with the Assistant Headmaster for Academics.
- Meets regularly with the Resident Academic Support Coordinator and School Counselor.
- Propose and maintain an annual budget.
- Attends all Academic Review Boards involving junior and senior students.
- Follows the policies and procedures outlined in the Administration and Faculty Handbook.
- Performs additional duties as reasonably assigned by the Headmaster.
The Director of College Counseling serves as a member of the following councils or committees:
- Academic Council
- Instruction and Student Life Committee of the Board of Directors
- Experience working with high-school students, preferably in a faith-based setting.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required. A Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential in School Counseling is preferred.
- 3-5 years experience in college counseling or college admission
- Experience working with international students
- Understanding of International Baccalaureate curriculum
- Proficiency using Google Apps for Education, Rediker, PlusPortals, REACH, and Naviance/SCOIR.
The salary range for this position is $65,000 – $75,000. The starting salary is based upon, but not limited to, several factors that include type and years of experience, education level, and expertise.
We offer a full benefits package that includes fully paid medical, dental, vision, and life insurance for employees; employer contribution toward dependent insurance premiums; long-term and short-term disability insurance; and a 403(b) retirement plan. Eligibility rules apply.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a complete resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brian Roney, Assistant Headmaster for Academics
Villanova Preparatory School
12096 N. Ventura Ave.
Ojai, CA 93023
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
Villanova Preparatory School (Ojai)
12096 N. Ventura Ave.
Ojai, CA email@example.com