Directs the Coro Catedral (Spanish Cathedral Choir), under the supervision of the Cathedral Director of Music. promoting a high quality sacred music program that leads Cathedral congregations “to that full, conscious, and active participation in liturgical celebrations” (Sacrosanctum Concilium #14), and embodies the Cathedral mission statement to be “a welcoming community of prayer, worship and service.” This position is part-time.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Job duties include, but are not limited to
- Demonstrates behaviors consistent with the Cathedral mission, values, policies and procedures.
- Directs the Spanish Choir at the weekly Sunday 12:00 pm Mass.
- Leads one weekly rehearsal.
- Directs the choir at other major liturgies throughout the year, including but not limited to Our Lady of Guadalupe, Christmas, Ash Wednesday, and Good Friday.
- Develops a choir that is capable of singing classical, traditional and contemporary Spanish-language sacred music.
- Educates the choir in the role of music in the liturgy.
- Recruits new choir members.
- Provides information to Director of Music on all musical selections for each week.
- Works with Director of Music to encourage collaborative relationships between choirs.
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned.
- Ability to read music and to use and teach a variety of vocal techniques to choir members.
- Fluency in Spanish, as well as English.
- Understanding and working knowledge of Roman Catholic liturgies and liturgical celebrations.
- Experience and understanding of the diverse Spanish speaking communities.
- Ability to motivate choir members.
- Commitment to working as part of a team.
- Ability to accompany on piano or organ highly desired.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
Please submit a resume and cover letter addressing your qualifications and availability for this position at the Cathedral. Applicants may submit a video clip of choral conducting performance. Please keep videos to no more than 5 minutes in length. Links to YouTube clips are acceptable. Please send your materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and write “Director del Coro Catedral” in the subject line of your email.
Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels (Los Angeles)
555 W Temple St
Los Angeles, CA email@example.com