GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Contractor agrees to furnish the following described services at the locations, intervals and times specified by the VSFB Chapel. The Contractor shall:
- Under the direction of the Wing Chaplain, or designee, manage and coordinate the Catholic Community’s comprehensive Religious Education (RE) program for children and adults. Programs include, but are not limited to: Confirmation, Sunday Children’s Liturgy, Vacation Bible School, Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA), Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (CCD), and all other parish or ecumenical bible study/religious education programs. Services being provided are an integral part of the Catholic ministry which serves to teach, promote, and communicate Catholic beliefs.
- Attend weekly chapel staff meetings and other official meetings as directed by the Wing Chaplain.
- Attend and support Parish Advisory Council (PAC) meetings.
- Develop a proposed academic year calendar of events, in coordination with the Archdiocese of Military Service (AMS) and local requirements and submit it for the Wing Chaplain’s approval by 1 August.
- Assist the Catholic priest in the selection and procurement of religious education curriculum, supplemental materials and supplies, ensuring all educational materials conform to ecclesiastical and Air Force Chaplain Corps educational requirements. Core curriculum will be selected from the Armed Forces Catholic Curriculum Guide. Curriculum orders must be submitted to the Appropriated Fund (APF) Approving Official no later than 31 March.
General Tasks to be Performed:
- Submit APF Fund Request for Confirmation and Rites of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) activities.
- Attend all parish meetings.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Arrange transportation as needed for RE events, either Privately Owned Vehicle (POV) carpool or request Government Owned Vehicle (GOV) support.
- Maintain a continuity file for the RE program.
- Maintain a record of RE class attendance of each Sunday.
- Conduct ongoing registration, maintain a database roster of students, teachers, and staff that is updated on a quarterly basis.
- Prepare parents/students correspondence and weekly bulletin inserts.
- Maintain adequate supplies of consumable materials at government expense.
- Organize RE activities such as RCIA and Confirmation Retreats, and help with setting up volunteer registration day.
- Attend yearly conferences that will aid in the improvement of job performance (optional).
- Organize a Confirmation program.
- Coordinate a three-day retreat for Confirmation Catechumen/Candidates at government expense.
- Organize activities for Confirmation Catechumen/Candidates during preparation for Confirmation such as parent meetings and lock-ins.
The Contractor must:
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Experience. Must have a minimum of one (1) year of experience teaching Catholic Religious Education. Have a strong theological grasp of the Catholic faith, and have openness to a wide variety of faith expressions within the Chapel community. Also, be able to demonstrate the ability to clearly express the details of basic Catholic doctrine.
- Education /Certification. Have a Master’s degree in Theology or Religious Studies or have a valid AMS Advanced Catechist Certification.
- Be able to perform word processing in a Windows computer environment. Must be capable of working with calendar programs, MS Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and show ability to work with other software programs if necessary.
- Be able to resolve interpersonal conflicts and promote constructive working relations.
- Maintain a respectful, positive, and spiritually sensitive environment. Must be able to work with Chapel staff members, all military personnel, Chapel volunteer lay leaders, and Chapel volunteers with diverse spiritual backgrounds.
If interested please email your resume to Mark@sanfordfederal.com or call 540.692.3173
Vandenberg Space Force Base (Lompoc)
Vandenberg Air Force Base
Lompoc, CA 93437Mark@sanfordfederal.com