POSITION: CATHEDRAL SACRISTAN (Non-Exempt, Full-Time, 40 Hours per week)
SALARY RANGE: $19.00 – $22.00 per hour
Do you feel called to the Table of the Lord? The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels is looking for a full-time Sacristan, a position that offers a unique closeness to the Lord in both the tasks and time spent in ministry. If you have liturgical experience and would enjoy playing an integral role in the celebration of the Eucharist at the Mother Church of the Archdiocese, we invite you to apply.
- Responsible for the preparations for Cathedral liturgical celebrations including, but not limited to, daily Masses, Sunday Masses, Weddings, Funerals, Special Liturgies.
- Works with volunteer sacristans to maintain an organized and effective Sacristy for all cathedral liturgical events. Creates and maintains schedules for volunteer sacristans.
- Oversees, prepares, and sets out items needed for all liturgical events, including books, objects, vessels, and vestments. Returns all items to their proper place after liturgy.
- Is attentive to the care and security of all liturgical implements and articles – notifying Liturgy Director in a timely fashion of need to replace, reorder, or repair liturgical supplies and items.
- Works with the Director of Liturgy and the Assistant Director of Liturgy to ensure adequate supplies to fulfill liturgical needs, including, but not limited to, hosts, wine, purificators, albs, vestments, plants, flowers, batteries, soaps, cleaning supplies.
- Oversees cleaning (both on-site and dry cleaners), steaming, ironing and maintenance of altar linens, vestments, and other liturgical garments and articles.
- Responsible for maintaining cleanliness of the Sacristy and Altar areas, as well as the liturgical environments (including plants/flowers) throughout Cathedral and chapels. Reports needed repairs.
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships and communications with all constituencies, including Clergy, Cathedral and Archdiocesan staff, volunteers, parishioners, visitors and pilgrims
- Participates in liturgical committees, as assigned.
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Three-plus years experience in Roman Catholic pastoral and liturgical environments
- Strong experience and skills in managing multiple tasks, competing priorities, and in meeting conflicting deadlines
- Experience working in a team environment, as well as in autonomous work
- Available to work weekends and holidays
- Demonstrates behaviors in concert with the Cathedral mission, values, policies and procedures.
- Ability to work scheduled overtime or emergency overtime should need arise
- Punctual and motivated
- Excellent inter-personal skills, with a team player approach to pastoral ministry
- Ability to motivate co-workers and volunteers
- Capacity to exercise judgment and discretion when dealing with sensitive and/or confidential information
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Can perform tasks requiring bending and lifting up to 25 pounds;
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
Please submit, by email, your resume and a cover letter addressing your qualifications and availability for this position at the Cathedral.
Write “Sacristan” in the subject line and send your email to Ebonaduce@olacathedral.org
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels (Los Angeles)
555 W Temple St.
Los Angeles, CA email@example.com