The Cathedral Gift Shop is a ministry of the Church and helps to fund the pastoral mission of the Cathedral. With a thoughtfully curated collection of devotional items, the Cathedral Gift Store is tailored to foster the faith. The Retail Operations Sales Manager creates and maintains an exemplary and religious gift shop consistent with the Cathedral’s mission, supervising all Gift Shop personnel and directing the entirety of all Gift Shop related projects. This is a full-time, exempt position, weekend work required.
- Supervises back of house/front of the house staff, reviewing productivity and accuracy on an ongoing basis. Provides verbal and written counseling notices to staff as needed
- Responsible for ongoing staff training and development and staff meetings
- Recruits, trains and schedules store floor volunteers. Assigns weekly staff schedules, reviews timesheets
- Sets pricing guidelines, margins, and target turns (rate of sale) for each item.
- Develops merchandise display plans and assists store staff in implementation of plans
- Review and direct periodic restocking from back-stock; runs Margin Custom Reports to justify reordering
- Exercise proficiency in front and back functions of POS system including transactions, vouchering, reporting, analysis, and adjustment
- Monitor receipt of goods, sale shipments and customer satisfaction
- Generates end of month reports and Quarterly reports to Accounts payable department
Merchandising & Buying/Marketing
- Evaluates vendors to source relevant and appropriate product of a religious gift store
- Meets with sales representatives, distributors and manufacturers
- Maintains key items in stock, prevents excess inventory, and maximizes productivity
- Develops custom product, locates one of a kind product, in-house wholesale purchases,
- Compiles and places orders for shipping and store supplies
- Evaluates and recommends low cost/ high yield marketing campaigns and promotions and seasonal merchandise plans
- Generates organic marketing opportunities across social media platforms and ecommerce; coordinates Email marketing campaigns and in-store special events.
Shopify & Retail Pro POS/Ecommerce
- Responsible for and supervises creation, maintenance and expansion of the Cathedral Gift Shop website.
- Oversees new website launch for Shopify and serves as decision maker and point of contact with Shopify third party teams (WSW & Acorn Strategy)
- Directs any digital marketing initiatives; assists in the direction of all creative strategy with photography, creative copy and other content for website.
- Responsible for providing and creating content for products sold online
- Oversees the entire e-commerce sales process, which will include uploading new items to inventory, providing creative direction, picking orders, and shipping.
- Identify tactics to elevate branding across all touchpoints, including website, social platforms, in store signage, emails, product, packaging & more.
- Generates and reviews daily sales reports to evaluate specific in-store trends and performance targets per item or category and adjust purchasing accordingly.
- Tracks pending back orders, unfulfilled purchase orders, open sales orders
- Studies relevant trade publications, trade newsgroups, and other resources to predict trends in the Catholic, and Christian industry. Establish and maintain networking with similar religious and non-profit institution retailers.
- Manages Customer database
- Generates end of month (EOM) reports and Quarterly reports
- Runs Margin Custom Reports to justify reordering
The Retail Operations Sales Manager should have experience working in religious, museum, or other specialty retail, retail management and supervision of employees. Must possess skills in, organization and long-range planning, operation of point-of sale systems (POS) and Ecommerce, in particular Shopify (web design, front-end, back-end development) and RetailPro (fluency in RetailPro Versions 8 & 9, Reporting, Inventory Management, Customer & Vendor Management)
Please submit a resume and cover letter addressing your qualifications and availability for this position at the Cathedral. Write “Gift Shop- Sales Manager” in the subject line of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels (Los Angeles)
555 W Temple St
Los Angeles, CA email@example.com