DEPARTMENT/LOCATION: CHURCH OFFICE
POSITION SUMMARY: The Business Manager reports to and assists the Pastor in all matters requested and, consistent with good managerial practice, ensures that all matters within the administrative and financial mission of the Parish are efficiently and professionally dealt with on a timely basis.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Oversee and manage the Parish accounting and financial functions; management of personnel, purchasing and facilities; and interface with the Parish Finance Council and its subcommittees, attending council meetings and promoting its effectiveness in an advisory function. Because all Archdiocesan employees represent the Roman Catholic Church, they are expected to conduct themselves according to the goals and mission of the Church in performing their work.
Accounting and Financial Functions:
- Responsible for maintaining an adequate internal control system to safeguard parish assets and ensure the efficient stewardship of parish resources.
- Maintain an accurate filing, record keeping, and reporting system for all parish financial matters. Prepare monthly, quarterly, and year-end reports for parish and Archdiocese as needed.
- Establish and maintain a responsible cash flow management system.
- Prepare, administer, and review the budget process in compliance with Archdiocesan policy.
- Act as a liaison between the Parish and Archdiocese in financial matters.
- Facilitate fundraising, pledge drives (i.e., Together in Mission and Called to Renew), Parish offertory collections and stewardship.
- Review and approve all cash disbursements prior to presentation for payment to the Pastor. Assume responsibility for the levels of spending consistent with the budget.
- Review all parish purchases before orders are placed.
- Research alternate/competitive vendor possibilities.
- Make recommendations as to vendor of choice.
- Account coding of all expense invoices.
- Be thoroughly aware of the conditions on the property and in the buildings.
- Supervise the gardening service and maintenance staff.
- In coordination with the Pastor and appropriate parish committees/staff:
- Ensure the oversight and management of major construction, and improvements or repairs of parish facilities and grounds, is in accordance with parish policies.
- Solicit and review bids and negotiate contracts.
- Develop and maintain a calendar/schedule for all regular maintenance and repairs, including preventive maintenance.
- Follow up to confirm that purchases and repairs are completed on schedule.
- Participate in the development and implementation of parish personnel policies in collaboration with the Pastor.
- Administer payroll and salary/benefits program; assist employees as needed to ensure employees receive appropriate benefits and are paid in accordance with the law. Coordinate benefit issues with the Archdiocesan Human Resources Department.
- Assist with hiring and selection of personnel in collaboration with the Pastor.
- Maintain confidential personnel files and administer Archdiocese personnel procedures to ensure compliance.
- Develop and implement evaluation process.
- Maintain effective working relationship with the school Administration to coordinate activities as appropriate.
- Act as a resource person for Church employees, members, and others.
- Review procedures and develop new methods to improve efficiency or reduce costs; oversee implementation of computers and software including identifying where they are needed.
- Actively support the philosophy and goals of the Church by attending services, assisting with ministries, and similar activities.
- Perform related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
To perform effectively in this position, the incumbent is required to have a working knowledge of budgets, accounting, facilities management, personnel laws.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic accounting principles and procedures
- Labor law and payroll policies, practices, and procedures
- Church philosophy, principles, and teachings
- Organization and long-range planning
- Facilities management
- Oral and written communication
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
- Maintain confidentiality
- Sit for sustained periods of time on a daily basis
- Occasionally lift up to 20 pounds
- Perform tasks requiring intermittent bending, stooping and walking
- Sustain frequent movement of the fingers, wrists, hand, and arms
Requires some weekend, holiday and evening work for events, or the ability to arrange coverage. These times include, but are not limited to, Christmas season, Holy Week and Easter, fundraisers, after mass functions, etc. Local travel for business purposes or for parish training, may also be required.
$64,080 – $102,945
Submit resume to email@example.com
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
Sacred Heart Catholic Church (Ventura)
10800 Henderson Rd.
Ventura, CA firstname.lastname@example.org