Reports to: Assistant Principal of Finance and Operations (APFO)
Start Date: July 13, 2021
St. Mary’s Academy seeks an experienced Business Manager who is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the School’s business office. St. Mary’s Academy is a Catholic, private, college preparatory high school for young women, founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, that shapes women of distinction who are committed to lifelong learning and service to the “dear neighbor”.
The Business Department at St. Mary’s Academy is responsible for providing timely, relevant, and accurate financial information to the school’s managers and stakeholders. The Business Manager will work closely with the APFO to insure the integrity of the accounting processes, systems and internal control structure; to compile, analyze and prepare financial information for the various users of such information; to develop and monitor the annual budget for the school; and to develop and monitor human resource management policies and procedures. The position requires significant strategic and tactical financial acumen, payroll, and human resources experience, particularly with independent schools.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform general accounting functions, including processing accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll.
• Responsible for ensuring a timely and accurate completion of the monthly and annual close, including processing journal entries, account analysis and reconciliation, variance analysis and financial statement and budget-to-actual review.
• Prepare, in conjunction with the APFO, annual budgets and financial forecasts.
• Maintains fixed asset ledgers, capitalizing acquisitions, recording depreciation and disposals. Prepares fixed asset reports and posts entries to the general ledger.
• Prepare regular and ad hoc financial reports for various internal and external users.
• Monitor AR aging and communicate with delinquent account holders;
• Maintain orderly records of financial transactions, in compliance with school policies and local, state and federal requirements.
• Prepare and file all tax returns and requirements (e.g., 1099, sales tax) and other local, state and federal forms (e.g., W-9, 1099).
• Reviews all purchase orders and expense reports for accuracy and proper expense classification.
• Provides leadership to the Main and Business Office staff, including training, mentoring, and overall management of main and business office personnel ensuring that all office procedures are efficient and adhere to best practices.
• Maintains grant accounting and recording of revenue as restrictions are satisfied.
• Ensure endowment management practices meet all legal and ethical standards.
• Works closely with the Director of Advancement to coordinate the work of the Business and Advancement offices. Develops and analyzes financial reports supporting fundraising, endowment management, foundation reporting, and communications. Including reconciling with development staff in maintaining adequate records for donations and pledges.
• Works closely with the APFO in preparing reports, worksheets, schedules, and accounts for the annual audit including coordination with the School’s independent auditors.
• Responsible for all human resources (HR) processing matters including new employee onboarding, coordination of employee leaves of absences, employee benefits, and 403b plan.
• Monitor finance and human resource management legislation, trends and best practices to insure St. Mary’s Academy is following current industry processes and procedures.
• Works closely with the APFO in maintaining all property, casualty, liability, student accident, and other forms of insurance for the school.
• Plans and oversees the distribution of student enrollment and re-enrollment packages, prepare tuition contracts and update the school’s information management system as well as coordination of information to independent tuition billing and collection systems.
• Participates in the financial assistance process, including preparation of materials, distribution of award decision, and compilation of data for the financial aid committee, record keeping, notification and follow-up.
• Keep minutes at bi-monthly Finance & Facility Committee meetings and attends Board of Trustee and other meetings as required;
• Works closely with the Parent Association and Grade/ Club Moderators to ensure proper accounting and recording of funds.
• Other accounting-related tasks and projects, as assigned, in order to meet the school’s financial objectives.
Required Qualifications and Knowledge:
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field. Master’s degree preferred or equivalent experience with a minimum of 5 years of managerial level accounting/financial business management experience, preferably in an independent school environment
• Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and extensive experience with automated accounting payroll systems
• Must have a strong knowledge of financial statement review and analysis, reconciliation skills, debit and credit accounting, accounts payable and accounts receivable
• Experience with accounting software systems – working knowledge of QuickBooks Enterprise applications preferred
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel is mandatory
• Knowledge and/or experience with benefit administration, labor law and other human resource management issues a plus
• Good organizational, verbal & written communication and supervisory skills
• Ability to work with detailed information with a high degree of accuracy
• Must be a self-starter and have the ability to work independently and as a team member
• This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of Administration, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing. Business Manager will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties as may be assigned.
Submit the following to St. Mary’s Academy firstname.lastname@example.org:
• Resume outlining qualifications and related background
• Cover letter with a description of why you want to work at St. Mary’s Academy
• Three professional references or two letters of reference dated within the past 1 year
St. Mary’s Academy (Inglewood)
701 Grace Ave
Inglewood, CA email@example.com