Our Lady of Sorrows
Santa Barbara, CA
Bulletin Editor / Receptionist
As of March 2020
DEPARTMENT: Parish SUPERVISOR:
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Non-Exempt SALARY GRADE:
Bulletin Editor / Receptionistis a part-time employee role that ultimately reports to the Pastor on all matters and to others, such as the Business Manager, as he so delegates. The Bulletin Editor / Receptionistposition retains no authority over any aspect of parish operations, funds or personnel. Any delegation of authority over parish resources is as the sole discretion of the Pastor and it is to be done in writing to avoid confusion and to ensure proper accountability.
It is vital to the success of the parish that the Bulletin Editor / Receptionistperforms all assigned tasks in the spirit of service, humility, efficiency and goodwill because all Los Angeles Archdiocese employees represent the Roman Catholic Church and are expected to conduct themselves according to the mission of the Church in performing their work.
The position of Bulletin Editor / Receptionistrepresents the parish in print, text and web formats, primarily in producing the weekly parish bulletin newsletter, writing weekly announcements and updating the parish website on a weekly basis. Other media may be requested on an as-needed basis. All materials created require bilingual English and Spanish skills; including translations that are grammatically correct. The Bulletin Editor / Receptionistalso functions as a front office team member, providing front office support for a variety of needs.
The following is NOT a comprehensive list of duties, but is provided as guideline to avoid confusion and to discern a general understanding of appropriate responsibilities as circumstances require. The following tasks are considered essential functions of the position. To perform the job successfully an employee must possess the abilities and aptitude to perform each duty proficiently.
Design and Production Responsibilities
1. Foster communication and work collaboratively with all parish employees and volunteers.
2. Assist parishioners in a professional and courteous manner in person, via email or telephone.
3. Maintain security of both persons and information at all times; respect confidentiality and privacy at all times.
4. Responsible for the designed look and content of the church bulletin. This weekly task entails:
a. Design the bulletin to reflect the Communications Plan, working ahead to ensure timely delivery, especially during special Advent and Easter schedules
b. Collect (or write) short articles, “ads” and other information from all ministries by given deadlines, sending reminders as needed
c. Collect boilerplate text, images and content from the publisher’s online resources that reflect liturgical seasons and church events
d. Design, edit and layout the content in a clear and attractive format to reflect the brand look of Our Lady of Sorrows
e. Upload the final bullet PDF to the publisher in a timely manner; by each Tuesday end of day, unless a special schedule is required for liturgical seasons
f. Refine and update parish graphic guidelines as they evolve
5. Design and produce event posters, fundraising and event flyers, stickers, bulk mailing letters and schedules for Christmas, Easter and ad hoc needs, among other requests as needed
a. Includes interfacing with various print vendors to request project estimates and/or overseeing in-house printing
b. Includes creating mailing labels for bulk mailing
6. Update the parish website on Mondays; more often as needed, for all pages
a. Coordinate updates with ministry leaders and staff, as needed
b. Design or redesign new pages, as needed
c. Update the website to conform to new Archdiocesan templates; interface with vendors to collect data and proof for accuracy of vendor’s work
General Office Support Duties
7. Provides front office coverage as a team member by answering the front door to welcome parishioners, guests and vendors; answer the phone to help callers; while demonstrating professionalism and tact to assist them and provide help to meet their needs that provides a positive experience at Our Lady of Sorrows.
8. Provides coverage for rest and meal breaks for other front office team members, as assigned/planned. May be asked to work longer hours to provide front office coverage during vacation of team members.
9. Lead parishioners through basic front office processes and workflows: Mass Intentions, Baptisms, Funerals, Sick Call requests, Sacrament Certificate requests, Baptism Prep Class sign-up, etc.
10. Participate in maintaining the ParishSoft database of parishioner registrations, mailing addresses and other information, ensuring that information is current and available for Easter, Christmas and other bulk mailings and needs.
Education and Experience
• Degree or technical certification in graphic design, page layout and/or web design
• 2-3 years of experience in professional writing, including translations
• At least five years of experience in a professional work environment
• College degree, desirable
• Highly organized individual who can juggle many projects at once, while keeping others posted of progress
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILIITES
• REQUIRED: Bilingual English and Spanish, both with strong written/grammar and verbal skills
• Catholic Church philosophy, principles and teachings; uphold the ADLA Pastoral Values of Service, Stewardship, Communications and Excellence
• Busy office environment
• Strong oral and written communication in English and Spanish with diplomacy and professionalism; may require translating and ensuring proper grammar/spelling in both languages.
• Strong and proven skills in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and PDF software
• Internet design skills required for creating new graphic and text content; HTML or other web language, a plus
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Strong Internet skills, including Google Drive (Docs, Sheets)
• Very strong organizational and people skills. Ability to work well with others, which juggling due dates and deadlines.
• Reliable and punctual
• Self-started, highly organized and ability to perform well under time constraints
• Maintain confidentiality
• Use tact and good judgment when dealing with the public, parishioners
• Mature, diplomatic and composed
• Friendly and helpful, seeking to serve others
• Sit for sustained periods of time on a daily basis
• Occasionally lift up to 20 pounds
• Sustain frequent movement of the fingers, wrists, hands and arms
Our Lady of Sorrows (SANTA BARBARA)
21 E SOLA STREET
SANTA BARBARA, CA email@example.com