Job Title: Associate Director of College Counseling
Status: Regular, Full-Time
Work Year: 11 Months
Supervisor: Director of College Counseling
Summary: Reporting directly to the Director of College Counseling, the Associate Director of College Counseling assists with the implementation of Flintridge Sacred Heart’s college counseling program and the 9th and 10th grade academic advising program.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion: Diversity is a vital element of Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy’s mission to educate young women for a life of faith, integrity and truth. At Flintridge Sacred Heart, we seek to create and sustain a vibrant, inclusive community and we value and appreciate the uniqueness contained within each person so as to honor the diversity of God’s creation.
Essential Job Functions:
-Serves as academic advisor and college counselor for a caseload of 11th and 12th grade students.
-Meets with students and parents individually and in groups to discuss academic advising and college counseling plans.
-Oversees academic progress of students in caseload.
-Writes letters of recommendations for college applications and other programs for students in caseload.
-Coordinates and presents informational events for students and parents.
-Assists with planning and running college workshops for students.
-Promotes Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy’s reputation within the profession and seeks professional development by attending state and national conferences, and by visiting colleges.
-Advocates for students and promotes awareness of Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy with college admission officers.
-Reviews students’ college applications and college essays.
-Meets with college representatives to learn about schools and programs.
-Shares college-related information with students and families through email and social media.
-Serves on the admissions committee and assists with admissions events.
-Coordinates, promotes and chaperones the school’s college tours (East Coast, Pacific Northwest, Bay Area and San Diego).
-Serve as proctor for student exams.
● Mission: Must possess a spirit open to the pursuit of faith, integrity and truth.
● Organization: Must possess ability to multitask, attend to detail, organize work effectively, meet deadlines and report status of work in a regular and systematic fashion; strong project management skills are essential.
● Communication: Must possess excellent written and verbal communications skills; ability to develop and present presentations to both small and large groups.
● People Skills: Strong interpersonal and social skills. Must seek to create and maintain positive relationships with employees, parents, alumnae, donors and other Academy constituencies encountered.
● Initiative: Must possess the ability to proactively initiate, participate and follow through in strategic planning matters and on work assigned. Positive attitude and teamwork perspective is essential.
● Learning Posture: Must maintain a learning posture, embrace change and individual and institutional growth. Expected to participate in professional development training and the annual employee retreat.
Other Job Functions:
Occasionally provides additional support to parents regarding the Financial Aid process.
Assists in the planning of advising assemblies and serves as a resource to the advising team
Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred.
● PPS credential preferred
● 2-3 years’ college counseling experience in a high school, independent school experience a plus
● Experience working with University admissions is a plus
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
● Knowledge of colleges and admissions processes at state, private, and nationally recognized universities.
● Proficiency in technology as related to all areas of the college counseling process: especially Naviance and Google Suite.
● Strong communication and organization skills. Attention to detail and excellent follow-through are a must.
● Need for orientation to detail and confidentiality.
● Ability to develop positive relationships with both students and parents; ability to work collaboratively with teachers, administrators, and university representatives.
● Strong writing abilities.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
● While performing the essential functions of this job the employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
● Simultaneous/repetitive use of both hands is required for data entry.
● Excellent sensory skills are important (sight, hearing and speech) as well as the ability to communicate effectively.
Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To find out more, visit us at www.fsha.org. Flintridge Sacred Heart offers a rich and supportive environment, competitive salary and benefits, and a chance to make a difference in this important position. If this sounds like the career move you’ve been looking for, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the job title in the subject line. Please send your cover letter and resume in PDF format by saving each document with your first name and last name.
Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy (LA CANADA FLINTRIDGE)
440, ST. KATHERINE DRIVE
LA CANADA FLINTRIDGE, CA 91011HUMANRESOURCES@FSHA.ORG