Chaminade College Preparatory seeks a dynamic, innovative, and engaging ART TEACHER with great classroom management skills for our middle school campus (grades 6-8) in Chatsworth, California. This is a part-time position with the possibility of expanding to full-time if the teacher is qualified to teach other classes in English or Social Studies.
The successful candidate will teach middle school students an art curriculum that corresponds to the Exploratory Department’s philosophy of sparking students’ interest and excitement in the arts through learning activities that allow students to express creativity, build knowledge of key principles, apply skills, and explore a variety of mediums.
• Teaches three middle school art classes in a dedicated art room stocked with materials and equipment for drawing, painting, and 3-D creation. May teach additional courses in other subjects.
• Designs and teaches a curriculum that builds students’ toolkits of foundational principles and elements so that students can do the following: 1) create powerful work that is relevant to their identities and lived experiences, 2) appreciate art and artists, and 3) speak and think like artists able to critique their own and others’ work.
• Exposes students to a diverse range of art and artists that respect students’ diverse social identities while still corresponding to Catholic Marianist values and the mission of the school.
• In a timely manner, plans lessons; provides feedback and grades on assignments; maintains grades, attendance, and other school records; and communicates with students, their families, and counselors when students need support.
• Creates an emotionally and physically safe learning environment where students can see themselves as artists and feel safe to express who they are.
• Integrates technology by using Schoology Learning Management System (LMS) (can provide training), Google Apps for Education, and other collaborative and productivity tools (*Note: All students use a school-issued Lenovo Thinkpad tablet daily)
• Is knowledgeable about new trends and developments in the arts and arts education.
• Collaborates with the Robotics/Computer Science/Makerspace instructor to supervise and interact with students during lunch and flex block in one of the school’s makerspaces, which is located in the dedicated art room.
• Collaborates with members of the Exploratory Department to support a student-centered, process-oriented arts program under the guidance of the Exploratory Department Chair.
Deadline for Submission of Applications
Applications are being accepted immediately. This position is open until filled.
Salary and Benefits
This is a salaried/exempt from overtime position. The salary for this position will be commensurate with experience. As a part-time position, the position is not eligible to participate in the Chaminade employee medical, dental, vision, long-term disability and life insurance plans but would be eligible for Chaminade retirement plan contributions and employee deferrals. As a full-time position, the position is eligible for Chaminade’s competitive employee benefits program including medical, dental and vision coverages, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, retirement plan contribution, and voluntary supplemental life insurance and long-term care coverages.
Interested applicants may apply online through our employment webpage at: www.chaminade.org/employment. Applicants will be asked to upload a resume and cover letter.
In addition, candidates invited to interview are encouraged to bring or share a curated portfolio that reflects their knowledge of art, their own personal artwork, a written sample lesson they have taught or would teach, and if available, samples of lessons, assignments, student work, assessment criteria. Portfolios may be shared digitally or via hard copy.
Any applicant who needs help or needs an accommodation in order to apply for any position should contact the human resources office at (818) 366-9284.
Chaminade is an independent co-educational Catholic school serving students in grades 6-12 at our two beautiful campuses located in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. One of the best things about Chaminade is our strong sense of family. We work together, play together, and pray together. We are a family, a community committed to the success and well-being of each and every student.
We inspire young people to love, learn, and lead through our Catholic and Marianist traditions of a living faith, academic excellence, and moral responsibility.
Chaminade College Preparatory graduates are prepared, inspired, and equipped to:
• Share God’s love by caring for others and seeking justice and peace.
• Learn, adapt, and grow with the world around them.
• Become servant leaders and positive contributors to society.
The Characteristics of Marianist Education
Chaminade’s mission and culture are deeply rooted in the five Characteristics of Marianist Education which are:
• Educating for Formation in Faith
• Providing an Integral Quality Education
• Educating in Family Spirit
• Educating for Service, Justice, and Peace and the Integrity of Creation
• Educating for Adaptation and Change
Chaminade’s Commitment to Diversity
Chaminade College Preparatory is committed to the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion and the value that a rich and diverse community brings to our school. Our employee culture is deeply rooted in our Catholic faith and the five Characteristics of Marianist Education. Our Catholic Marianist tradition is lived on our campuses every day, and is evident in our Chaminade Family Spirit where each of our faculty and staff is valued for their unique and varied gifts and talents. Chaminade’s faculty, staff, and administration come from all faiths, ethnicities, races, genders, and socioeconomic backgrounds and we are stronger for it.
For more information about Chaminade, visit our website at: www.chaminade.org
Equal Employment Opportunity
Chaminade College Preparatory is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for employment are considered without regard to race, color, national origin or ancestry, gender, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, or genetic information, or other basis protected by law for employment in a Catholic school. Applicants who need an accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment and hiring process should contact the human resources department in order to discuss reasonable accommodation.
• Has a passion for teaching art at the secondary level and loves working with middle-school aged students.
• A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related discipline is required. A teaching credential in the subject discipline is preferred.
• Prior teaching experience, especially in a Catholic educational setting, is preferred; however, relevant experience in the field is also strongly considered.
• Is comfortable delivering instruction on campus, via remote learning, and/or in a hybrid model.
• Wants to work in a setting committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion of all school stakeholders.
• Wants to work in a setting committed to balancing teaching/learning, health, and well-being of all stakeholders.
• Participates in and attends campus life events, including supervision, lunch activities, liturgies, assemblies, etc.
Chaminade College Preparatory (Chatsworth)
10210 Oakdale Ave
Chatsworth, CA firstname.lastname@example.org