St. Pius X- St. Matthias Academic is seeking a full-time Academic, College, & Career Counselor.
St. Pius X – St. Matthias Academy, located in Downey, California, offers a Catholic university experience for teenagers. We believe that a college education is a right rather than a privilege. Our mission is to provide all students opportunities to grow in faith, learn without limits, and live with a purpose.
Serving as an Academic, College, & Career Counselor at PMA requires a commitment to students, alignment with the school’s educational philosophy, and a relentless drive to achieve results. The role is responsible to execute the Academic, College & Career Department Plan for their assigned caseload and supporting students in the following areas:
- Implements the general guidelines of the school regarding guidance and counseling, and applies them as best fits students’ needs.
- Advises students regarding course selections to ensure proper placement in classes in accordance with 4-year plans.
Processes schedule changes
- Facilitates & documents intervention strategies with students, parents, and teachers of students who are earning Ds and Fs as evidenced by unsatisfactory progress reports and/or report cards.
- Collaborates with the registrar to compile and maintain a comprehensive file of student development over four years, including test results, report cards, progress reports, and other pertinent data.
- Does individual follow-up, where necessary, regarding the interpretation of test results.
- Facilitates parent-teacher conferences for individual students
College & Career Guidance
- Communicates college information in both individual and group sessions to students and parents including the College Night program
- Orders all appropriate materials for college counseling as it relates to student caseload
- Schedules college visits in collaboration with grade-level counselors
- Engages student caseload to utilize college-related resources and tools on the school’s counseling platform
- Backward plans the college application process for respected caseload
- Attends UC/CSU yearly conferences, and workshops on financial aid and college applications in order to remain current.
- Supports the college application and financial aid process as needed
- Serve as a liaison between the school’s socio-emotional support services and assigned caseload of students in collaboration with school leadership.
- Assesses students’ general well-being on a semesterly basis and communicates emerging and/or urgent concerns to school leadership
- Meet individually with individual students and groups at least once per term
- Maintains office hours before the start of the academic year and between the end of school and the beginning of summer school as directed by the Principal
- Collaborate regularly with the counseling department, and leadership team to execute yearly department and position goals and objectives
- Assists in the coordination of assigned counseling department operations, events, and efforts
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Principal.
Proactive problem-solving & decision-making skills
Strong computer and technical skillset
Strong writing skills
Strong interpersonal skills
Bachelors Degree in a counseling related field (Masters Degree Preferred)
Pupil Personnel Services Credential Preferred
2 Years of counseling experience with the youth
Spanish Fluency preferred
Practicing Roman Catholic preferred
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. New hires are commonly paid at the minimum of the wage range or within the lower part of the range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training and other department needs.
St. Pius X – St. Matthias Academy (Downey)
7851 Gardendale St
Downey, CA email@example.com